1. Breakfast Recipes
Father's Day off right with hearty servings of his favorite breakfast foods. From bacon and eggs to French toast and waffles, these recipes are the perfect way to begin the day.
Corned beef hash gets a kid-friendly makeover with the addition of ground beef, making this brunch dish one that the entire family can enjoy on Father's Day or any special occasion. Plus, the ingredients for this recipe don't cost more than $10 -- this is one great cheap eat!
* 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
* 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
* 1 (15 ounce) can diced potatoes, rinsed and drained well
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Warm olive oil in medium pan; add ground beef until cooked through. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan; sauté onion and green and red peppers over medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and garlic to the vegetables; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add beef to hash mixture. Cook on one side until potatoes and onions caramelize (brown) on the edges, about 5 minutes. Flip over and brown the other side.
5. Remove from heat. Serve with eggs and ketchup for a filling brunch.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
How kids can help
Make your kids your "sous chefs" by putting them in charge of spices, like sprinkling on the salt and pepper.
2. Lunch & Dinner
up the kids and make Dad an extra special lunch or dinner with any one of our yummy recipes. They’ll put a smile on his face, guaranteed!
Beef Nacho Casserole
Layers of spicy ground beef, sweet corn and garden fresh salsa surround crispy tortilla chips and shredded cheese for a quick nacho casserole that's a popular pick for kids of all ages.
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
* 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 3/4 cup creamy salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
* 2 cups Colby cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to crumble, until evenly browned. Drain grease. Remove from the heat, and stir the salsa, corn, salad dressing and chili powder into the beef. In a 2 quart casserole dish, layer the ground beef mixture, tortilla chips and cheese twice, ending with cheese on top.
3. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and dish is thoroughly heated.
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 35 min.
Servings per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
* calories: 548cal
* total fat: 40g
* cholesterol: 98mg
* sodium: 930mg
* carbohydrates: 23.5g
* fiber: 2.7g
* protein: 25.8g
3. BBQ Recipes
up the grill with these recipes. Whether Dad prefers chicken, seafood, beef or pork, these barbecue meal ideas are sure to please. Yum!
Best Ever Barbecue Burgers
These grilled burgers taste like gourmet, infused with a saucy blend of sweet onion, garlic, pepper, tomato, steak sauce and crispy bread crumbs, and are sure to turn your next cookout into one to remember.
* 1 sweet onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
* 1 tomato, chopped
* 2 tablespoons steak sauce
* 2 pounds ground beef
* 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
* salt and pepper to taste
1. an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
2. a blender or food processor, gradually place sweet onion. green bell pepper, garlic and tomato. Blend into a thick liquid. Mix steak sauce into the mixture.
3. the blended mixture into a large bowl. Place ground beef into the bowl, and thoroughly mix together. Set aside approximately 15 minutes.
4. again if liquid is present, then gradually introduce dry bread crumbs until the ground beef mixture is firm enough to form hamburger patties. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. the ground beef mixture into hamburger patties. Cook on the prepared grill to desired doneness.
Preparation Time: 25 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 45 min.
Servings per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving
* calories: 210cal
* total fat: 13.2g
* cholesterol: 56mg
* sodium: 122mg
* carbohydrates: 6.1g
* fiber: 0.9g
* protein: 16g
Dad’s sweet tooth with any of these delicious desserts. They’re simple to make and a satisfying finale to any Father's Day meal.
Dad-Size Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
This Father's Day why not make the big guy a larger-than-life cookie?
* 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened
* 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup (75 mL) light brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
* 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup (175 mL) rolled oats (regular or quick cooking, but not instant)
* 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
* 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
* prepared icing (store bought or homemade) for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet or pizza pan with baking parchment paper and lightly grease the paper.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture is very smooth and light -- about two minutes.
3. In another bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda. Add this mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. With a pencil, draw a 10-inch (25-cm) circle on the parchment paper. If you want to make your cookie into a different shape (see suggestions below) draw that shape instead. Remember – as it bakes, the batter will spread slightly, so leave enough room for expansion. Use the 10-inch (25-cm) circle as a rough guide to how large a cookie you can make. Baked, a 10-inch (25-cm) cookie will expand to about 12 inches (30 cm).
5. Dump the batter in the center of the pencil shape and spread it out evenly to the edges. The batter should be about 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes – or until very lightly browned. Remove pan from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Gently slide the parchment paper onto a rack and let the cookie cool completely before decorating.
Servings: Makes one fabulous Dad-sized Father’s Day Cookie.
Bake a giant cookie in a special shape and decorate it.
* Shirt with necktie
* T-shirt with favorite sports team logo
* Sports car or truck
* Trophy cup
* Portrait of Dad!
* Football, baseball, basketball, golf ball or soccer ball
* Musical instrument
How kids can help:
* Mix up the batter and spread it in the pan
* Decorate the cookie especially for Dad